Monday 25 April 2016

Whitby Goth Weekend – 23rd April 2016


I recently went to the April Whitby Goth Weekend, North Yorkshire. It’s held twice a year; Halloween and the anniversary of Bram Stoker’s death. Stoker was the author of Dracula who lived and based some of the story in the town. My friend and I spent the Saturday (also St George’s day) admiring the outfits of those who had dressed up and taking in the amazing scenery. If you’ve never been I highly recommend you go.

The Spring event is usually less well attended than October. In the winter the shops are decorated for Halloween, making it more popular but the advantage of April is you ‘should’ get better weather. We had sunshine all day and it was dry, although quite cold on East Cliff. I recognised a few people from previous events. They all had different outfits showing they make a real effort. It’s my favourite place to take photos. I took over 600 on the day and you can see some of them below.

I hadn’t been to the last two events so was really looking forward to it. Whitby and the surrounding area have great significance for me. My Mother’s side of the family came from North Yorkshire and they spent their summers there after they moved to Cheshire. We had fish and chips at the Magpie Café just as my Mum, Nana and Granddad used to do. My grandparents are sadly no longer with us but I always feel they are with me when I’m there.

Obviously the Dracula/Goth connection also appeals to me due to my love of horror and the paranormal. On our way back I bought a Whitby Ghost Story book from the Tourist Information ’13 Ghost Stories from Whitby’ by Michael Wray. This contains many stories from the town ghost walk, such as Old Lisa, The Whispering Ghost and the Wicked Punch and Judy Man. Make sure you buy it when you visit.

I’ve always found Whitby atmospheric and a little spooky...I’ve never been brave enough to venture there at night!





 See more photos on my Facebook page


No comments:

Post a Comment